Friday, November 20, 2015

Two Dogs Walking

Susan walking the dogs
It has become abundantly clear to us that not every dog knows how to walk on a leash. We were warned by the dog owners at this house where we are currently managing, that neither dog is good on a leash.

“One of the dogs takes off running, choking the whole while it’s trying to pull you along. The other pulls you in all directions,” their owner said.

Gee, how bad could it be? I thought.

In the past, our experience with dog walking is that they do get excited at seeing the leash, but a simple sit command sets their mind on that task. We had learnt over the years not to use our ‘excited’ voice when clipping the lead to their collar, or any voice at all. Either Frank or I would just set up the event and go. Usually, a gentle tug on the tether brings the dog beside us and we walk together. The frenzied opposite looks and feels much different.

Imagine two small dogs jumping straight up into the air and pacing in quick circles when they land. Our sit command was ignored several times but finally, one sat while the other continued to jump and spin. I snapped the leash clip onto the first dog and set the leash down on the ground. The leashed dog took off running in large circles within their pen. I commanded the other to sit and she did. I repeated the clip action and secured the leash to the metal fence, short enough that she couldn’t jump.

In the meantime, Frank is chasing the other dog and finally manages to stop her by stomping on the lead. He brings the dog over to me. I take both leashes in one hand and a tennis racket in the other. We’ve decided to use the device as a barrier between us and these two dogs that habitually jump up on you. That ‘Dog Whisper’ technique worked.


Two dogs walking

Next, we open the gate and just like their owners said, they rush ahead in a panic and I’m flung forward by their combined strength. I felt like I was a participant in a dog-sled race. The owner’s warning came to mind as I listened to the harsh gasping sound being made by the first dog and watched helplessly as the second dog went every which way causing the leash to wrap around my ankles.

“Honey, the owner warned us. Do you still want to take them for a walk?” Frank said.

“I’m going to give it a try,” I said.

Frank walking the dogs
I shortened the leashes and commanded the pair of dogs to sit. Within a few seconds dog-one bolted forward coughing against the restraint, her body lifting up on her hind legs. Dog-two charged in the opposite direction using her Jack Russell strength against the secure leash. I repeated the sit command and they obeyed for a few seconds, and then repeated their familiar walking-on-a-leash habits. We made it no more than thirty metres down the gravel road when I decided that the hike would be too much for us with the dogs. Frank brought them to their outdoor pen, removed the ropes and secured the gate. 

We enjoyed a refreshing stroll to collect the mail.


Tips appreciated.




No comments:

Post a Comment